On 20. okt. 2013, at 04:01, Bob M <rgmatth...@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> hi
>
> I have a derby database and a table with over 4,000 records............…

It is easier to think about a table as a hash table or tree, rather than an
array. So there isn't really a concept of first or last other than the ordering
imposed by the primary key (or other index). Meaning that there isn't an
builtin way to retrieve the first or oldest entry (or the newest) unless you
have a column that reflects the age (could be an auto increment column).

(Note that Derby is different from some other databases (e.g. Oracle) which
have something called row id which would have given you this ordering column
automatically)

> I wish to:-
>
> a) get the number of records in the table

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM t

> b) retrieve the last record

Assuming you have a column x which imposes the order you're after:

SELECT MAX(x) FROM t

to get the max key

SELECT * FROM t WHERE x=<max key>

> c) update this record

UPDATE t SET a=.., b=.. … WHERE x = <max key>

> d) add a new record and

INSERT INTO t VALUES(…)

> e) delete the first (oldest) record

DELETE FROM t WHERE x = (SELECT MIN(x) FROM t)

HTH,

Dyre