On my Windows I start Derby network server like this:

set DROPBOX=%USERPROFILE%\Dropbox
set PATH=%DROPBOX%\derby\bin;%PATH%
set DERBY_OPTS=-Xms256m -Xmx256m
set DERBY_OPTS=-Dderby.storage.pageCacheSize=4096 %DERBY_OPTS%

set DERBY_OPTS=-Djava.security.manager %DERBY_OPTS%
set DERBY_OPTS=-Djava.security.policy=%DROPBOX%\config\derby.policy %DERBY_OPTS%
set DERBY_OPTS=-Dderby.system.home=C:\TEMP %DERBY_OPTS%
start "Derby server" startNetworkServer

Peter