Hi Kent,

The work on DERBY-3946 was superseded by the work on DERBY-4415. I've resolved DERBY-3946. Hopefully that will help point people at DERBY-4415 so that they don't spend too much time wrestling with the old approach. The solution on DERBY-4415 works with production (non-debug) engines. I have just verified that it still works with the latest 10.11.1.1 release.

What I recommend is this: Write your own custom version of XmlASTPrinter. Then follow DERBY-4415's instructions for printing an xml-formatted tree:

connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:dummy;create=true';

create table t( a int );

call syscs_util.syscs_register_tool( 'customTool', true, 'ASTInspector', 'XmlASTPrinter' );

select * from t;

call syscs_util.syscs_register_tool( 'customTool', false, 'ASTInspector' );

– now look for the output in derbyAST.xml

Feel free to ask more questions or make more suggestions, either on this email thread or on DERBY-4415.

Hope this helps,
-Rick