Hi Abhi,

You may have tripped across a problem with the IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL() function. When identity columns were re-worked to use sequence generators, concurrency tests were run which involved many writers, that is, many sessions which concurrently issued INSERT statements. I don't recall much testing done with competing sessions which issued IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL() calls.

In the case when you have multiple concurrent writers, what is the meaning you expect from IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL()? It is possible that the SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_PEEK_AT_IDENTITY() system function may give you a result you can work with. It is likely that SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_PEEK_AT_IDENTITY() will play better with the underlying sequence generator.

If you can script the problem, please open a bug report.

Hope this helps,
-Rick