I guess the question is if Apache Derby supports table partitioning (the term used in Oracle RDBMS).  I understand it doesn't.

This means that if I have an incredible large Derby table then that will mean an incredible large single .dat file too. (a table is always stored in a single .dat file, right?)

Any suggestions? Any props that may control this?