If you're just learning Derby, you don't need to use the Network
Server and Network Client.

Try following the "embedded" path in
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.15/getstart/twwdactivity1_overview.html

It's a lot simpler.

Then when you're more comfortable with Derby you can move up to the
Network Server and its additional administration issues.

bryan