The usual cause for this behavior is that the application was brought down ungracefully, say via a control-c or by killing the window where it was running. The engine then needs to reconstruct the state of the database by replaying many recovery logs. To gracefully exit Derby, you need to explicitly shutdown Derby as described here: https://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.15/devguide/tdevdvlp20349.html