On 09/22/2009 05:54 PM, twoho...@fastmail.fm wrote:
> I have repeated the design using Inkscape.  I tried opening it with
> Scribus and got undesirable results, so beware.  I have uploaded the SVG

Yeah, Scribus can be like this when the imported SVG is using some
unsupported features like transparent gradients (which is not supported
by the pdf standard IIRC) or filters (blur).

Scribus is really useful when going for professional printing, as it can
prepare print-optimised PDFs, but since we are speaking about "do it
yourself" stuff, I guess we can stay with high-resolution PNGs exported
from Inkscape and printed on a common deskjet.

> & SVGZ files for contributions.  The low-res logos were for reference,
> they will not display in the uploaded versions (linked). I don't know
> how long it takes to get a vector version of the logos (in the queue).
> A sample of my version (jpg) is available for reference.

There is one more hint: I understand you used the logo bitmaps only a
reference (BTW, the 4 freedoms is not protected, you can get the source
from
http://fedorapeople.org/groups/designteam/Fedora%20Collateral/Posters/Four%20Foundations%20Posters/Sources/)
but when you insert a raster file into a SVG it is usually linked, not
embedded. So if you distribute the SVG, when someone will open it with
Inkscape he will get a red X and "linked image not found".

To overcome this use Extensions -> Images -> Embed images. The file size
will grow a lot (embedded files are base64 encoded) but the images will
be preserved.