Hey Bernhard, all,

sorry for not having repsonded so far. I'll try to answer more in time in
future.
I've added a third alternative where both f's have the same shape (note
however, that I had to cap the first f so that the upper tip does not
collide with the next f. If I had just copied the second one it would have
looked really ugly - I'm sure you realize that, I just thought I should
mention it). I think having the same curvature for both fs is indeed the way
to go. I'll keep that in mind for the final design.
Another thing I tried was to have equal spacing for all three letters -
which does not look good. Bernhard, you said that the "i" is lighter than
the "f" and therefore could be moved to the left - that is exactly what I
have done in the previous examples, although it seems as if I forgot to
mention it. I added a note on that on the wiki.
So equal spacing: not good.
Even spacing: good.
The other thing I tried was to incorporate the suggestion of my friend (
http://tinyurl.com/6x7fyg7) which looked even worse than without any
ligature.

2011/2/28 Bernhard Dippold <bernh...@familie-dippold.at>

> It looks different from the original Vegur "f", but a slightly stronger
> bending doesn't harm the general impression in my eyes.

Since the Vegur font has no ligatures the ligatures will look different from
the normal letters anyway. I try and match them as good as I can.

Also, it seems to me that there are currently two open threads in the design
list. I try to merge them ^^:
2011/3/1 Paulo José <paul...@gmail.com>

> *The Ligatures*: I think the ligatures in the "fi" letters was a very
> welcome surprise. It's true they remember a serifed font, but I personally
> love the way you put this serifed feeling on the LibO logo! I think it makes
> the logo very particular and organic. I don't see any reason to don't mix
> serif and sans-serif font when it's obviously look intentional and well
> done.

@Paulo: thanks for your positive comments. I know this is personal taste but
since everyone told me it would look like a serifed font I stopped thinking
about it. But now that you say you like it, I must say that I agree. All
alternatives to the one I first did (just for reference:
http://tinyurl.com/63ku3mw) look more nervous because there are more gaps
and more open tips. Since I got so little (in terms of different people)
feedback on this I'd like to ask others to give their opinion on the logos.
Just a short "looks good/doesn't look good" would be really great. I'll also
try and ask some friends of mine.

> *Manual kerning*: Well, I'm not the right person to talk about it, but I'm
> not sure if it's worth, since you can ever make use of a sharpening filter
> for images. But the changes you've done on the letters shape are a great
> improvement and make the things much... sexy [I can't find a better
> adjective]. A note: It seems the "D" on Document has not a correct kerning,
> but like I've said, it could be easily adjusted with a sharpening filter.

What do you mean with "sharpening filter"?

I agree that the sharp corners on the logo were a bad idea. Let's forget
about them ^^.

Thanks,
Joey