Hi Christoph,

2012/5/31 Christoph Noack <christ...@dogmatux.com>

> Hi Alex, all!
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 30.05.2012, 16:42 +0200 schrieb Alexander Wilms:
> > actually, the save icon in the top toolbar should be enough, don't you
> > think? It's greyed out if there's nothing to save and makes the
> > indicator superfluous.
>
> Well, that was the case some versions ago - then the current behavior
> (save icon is always active) has been introduced. Reason: There has been
> customer feedback targeted at the Sun OOo UX Team that people wish to
> press that button at any time - just to be sure that the document is
> really saved. So here its not about real logic, but about people to feel
> "safe".

This is only a setting, and it's disabled by default (at least on my
machine).
Out of interest, could you point me to the feedback you mentioned?

> Concerning using of the asterisk in the title bar - also that issue has
> been discussed from time to time. From my (personal) point-of-view, this
> indicator does not reveal its meaning clearly. Almost the same is true
> for the current status bar indicator - but of course it's just there
> because of the cool TDF symbolism ;-)

> So, finally, if there is a need to further cleanup the status bar, then
> I'd propose to go with "(unsaved)" instead of the asterisk for the title
> bar. Example for unsaved changes:
> Strategy Document (unsaved) - LibreOffice Writer

Fine with me, as long as it only happens if the "allow to save document
even when the document is not modified" setting is on.

> Of course there are plenty of alternatives - introducing stuff like a
> proxy icons (similar to Mac OS X), or extending the "Save Icon" by an
> own indicator. Or ...

To be honest, I feel like this is too much complication to satisfy a very
small fraction of the userbase, at a cost to the general userbase. Every
other application I know disables "Save" when the file is saved, and
there's not any consumer backlash there.