On November 17, 2015 5:12:34 PM EST, Aaron Wolf <aa...@snowdrift.coop> wrote:
>So, I really want to see things pushed up to master sooner rather than
>later.

Agreed.

Proposal: Near-immediately deploy to live, even if things are broken, with the
with the following change: Add a global header with whatever disclaimers are
necessary. Much like many European sites do to deliver their mandatory cookies
message, it should be above the normal header and dismiss-able with an X in the
corner. Dismissing on one page should not persist across navigation or reloads.

>For example, we have a new design planned for the introduction, for
>example, and we'll end up making that a hardcoded page in the code
>rather than a wiki page… but for now, we can certainly put up a new
>homepage that links to the *current* intro page, and we can just change
>that link once we have the new intro page done. We should not delay the
>homepage just to finish the intro page.

Any reason why we shouldn't just make it a locked wiki page, once we add that
functionality? Or even unlocked but only editable by Snowdrift.coop patrons?

>Items I want to see included still and not lost during this transition:
>
>* Clear indication that this is a prototype, not handling money yet,
>such as the "work in progress — public ALPHA" not currently
>
>* I think the stuff currently in the About section of the homepage can
>be all moved either to the new footer or to the wiki intro page for
>now.
>The wiki page already links to the longer about essay. I'm not sure
>about the FAQ, "who we are", and press links, but I think they could
>all
>be linked at the intro wiki page for now…

Agreed. That would make for a better flow for newcomers. Although eventually
I'd like to look at this flow. First and foremost it's important that there's a
clear progression for newcomers, which we currently do okay at in terms of
natural discovery through links, I think. We also do a good job for power users
who know about the wiki index page. However, users who have read stuff before
but have not stumbled on the index page yet, it is hard to find a page you are
looking for. I think the best short term fix is to add a link to the index page
in the new footer.

>* I'm not sure about the fund-drive video… ideally we deprecate it in
>favor of a new video, but we don't have that right now. Maybe the video
>and reference to the fund-drive can be moved to the donate page; but we
>still need some prominent enough link to the donate page itself.

I like videos. I think at some point it would be worth making an updated intro
video. Another day, though.

>* The "News and Activity" section needs to be addressed. We need to
>make
>sure people are aware of activity and make that prominent enough.

Agreed. It'd be cool to have commits and wiki changes listed on the
snowdrift.coop site.

>* The volunteer and get-listed stuff… well, we can have stub pages and
>appropriate links, but I want to make sure the new homepage and overall
>design keeps in mind how to keep call for volunteering really
>prominent…
>I'm not sure it does that right now.

Proposed Front Page:
Paragraph Intro or Video