Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this conversation, Michael.

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 12:08 PM, Michael Siepmann <m...@techdesignpsych.com> wrote:
As discussed in a recent meeting (transcript in https://tree.taiga.io/project/snowdrift/task/323), wolftune, mray, me, and anyone else who wants to participate, need to discuss current status and next steps to get the project page design sufficient for MVP, and also the dashboard design (https://tree.taiga.io/project/snowdrift/us/67).

mray: I think you have mockups of these which we could revisit as a starting point? Anything else we should look at or think about before actually meeting?

People's first question about the mechanism is ALWAYS "What prevents me from suddenly getting a huge bill if there's influx of patrons?" Of course there will be some safeguard in place to prevent this.

"Some safeguard" is pretty vague. Let's fix that. I see 3 options:

1. Patrons set an absolute limit, where we won't ever charge them more than that, total. - I anticipate everyone agrees that this is a bad option for us (or any ongoing system). If it turns out I'm wrong, I'll elaborate then.
2. Patrons set a monthly budget for their account.
3. Patrons set a monthly budget for each project.

I think #3 is the best. Here's why:

---

(A) It can be set at the time of pledging

This allows people to be more comfortable when pledging, potentially increasing participation.

---

(B) Post-MVP, it's a simpler decision (albeit one that's made more often)

When I run over my budget, I have to decide whether to increase it or drop a project. In the per-project case, I need to make that decision for one project only. For an account-wide budget, I need to make that decision for every project I'm supporting.

When I'm pledging to a new project, the account-wide case forces me to consider whether I'd rather put my budget towards projects I'm already supporting, since projects compete against each other for a share of my budget.

This disincentives to supporting multiple projects; that's NOT the type of "rule of the game" we want to be creating. It also puts the 'Pledge' action behind a complex decision. This will discourage people from pledging regardless of how the incentives align.

---

(C) It reinforces the idea of matching

For example, it would allow us to show a visualization of a project's current funding level and also the pool of money available for matching as others join a project.

We could also include a visualization that shows how increasing your budget cap bolsters that pool of available funds (and therefore provides a stronger incentive for others to pledge).

---

(D) It's more like normal budgeting

"I'm setting aside $X per month for this project (even if I may not actually give all of that this month)."

The closest comparison I can think of to an account-wide budget is a shopping budget, where you're buying the same stuff each time, and the prices for individual things might change but your budget won't. Unlike shopping, though, Snowdrift is a donation, not a transaction, so I'm not (or shouldn't be) concerned with getting the best deal ("sales") -- ie, only support projects when their pledge level drops; when they start losing patrons.