On 06/27/2016 04:14 AM, mray wrote:

> The way I understand the proposal of notification would be: "Hey! $10 a
> month seems to be ok with you, and you're currently only using $5 a
> month...., but.... as we want to ensure that projects get funded in the
> future when even more people join maybe you can up that limit to $15
> already, because you know crowmatching works that way that things grow
> kind of. After all you're just spending $5, but your limit of $10 should
> better be higher."

I didn't think there was any such proposal at all. And, to be frank,
that example you give is so obviously bad that it should be clear nobody
would ever support that, so it's a straw-man. I.e. this isn't addressing
something anyone is actually wanting. I think it's more effective to
clarify a proposal by aiming to express it so he proposer will say "yes!
that's it!", and then you can critique the issues you may see with it.

I think the proposal was only that you get regular general status
updates overall, like a notification every couple weeks or every month
showing the change in your pledge values and otherwise you can see your
status on your dashboard page.

And in those general status updates, there would be *some* level (which
would definitely be nothing like using only $5 of $10 limit) that would
indicate getting-close-to-limit. In other words, there would be
absolutely NO request for a limit change, but there would just be a
yellow color around the stat that shows something like "current total
pledge value: $9.23 of $10 budget maximum". It shouldn't ask anyone to
do anything, it just indicates that the current situation is likely to
hit the limit (and thus auto-suspend some pledge) if a decent number of
new patrons join soon.

The only "please consider increasing your budget" message is part of
addressing the situation once the limit is actually hit.

But it is *not* good to provide no indication at all before hitting the
limit. Giving people the information that they are approaching their
limit just helps them see what's happening and keep tabs on it (and
adjust in advance if they feel like doing that, but no pressure).