> Iain * wrote:
>
> >>    The other example is gstreamer, I am sure they can share with us
> >> whether
> >> their decision to go with parallel-installable version of 0.8 and
> >> 0.10 was a
> >> pleasant exercise. Of course they were facing similar situations as
> >> is now.
> >

> > Speaking as aGStreamer application author and user, it was very
> > pleasent. It allowed me to use applications that had been ported to
> > 0.10 and applications that had not...all at the same time!
>
>     Good :).
>     But for how long? 6 months, 1 year or 3 years? I guess you don't to
> want to
> do that for very long :) or many versions.

I want to do it for as long as I want to run apps that haven't been ported.
As it is, on Saturday night I had the (misfortune) of needing to run Audacity.
It is a gtk1.2 program. Had gtk not been parallel installed, I would
have been screwed. Royally.

And so, I have no problem with parallel installs even 5 years after
the old software became obsolete so long as it solved my needs.

iain