Ross Burton wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 03:10 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:
>> We have just released a new stable version of tracker (0.5.0) which can
>> be found here:
>>
>> http://www.gnome.org/~jamiemcc/tracker/tracker-0.5.0.tar.bz2
>>
>> I would like to propose this for inclusion into Gnome 2.18 as its now
>> been well tested and should be stable enough.
>
> Aside from technical objections, are there any distributions that ship
> this by default?  Do any of these enable it by default?

We will be pushing for this in ubuntu edgy+1

They need a desktop search that can run on 256mb machines and currently
tracker is the only candidate there.

With all the additional benefits of tags and extensible metadata, ubuntu
could end up with a much more powerful search system than its competitors!

> New applications don't get into GNOME as they may be cool and
> interesting, they get into GNOME as they are used in the real world.  As
> an example, Sound Juicer, IIRC, was the default CD ripper in released
> versions of Red Hat and Mandrake before it was proposed and accepted
> into GNOME.

I doubt all the other proposed modules were in distros before being
accepted in the past.

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/