Hi,

On 4/4/07, Frederic Crozat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> -when adding beagle in the startup process, you go up to 15s

I'm interested to know what the overhead here is. Was Beagle run in a
previous session, and roughly how many files have been indexed?
Because:

* It could be that the Mono assemblies are getting pulled off disk.
If Beagle was run in a previous session, these should be warm in the
cache and this shouldn't be a problem.

* Beagle does a little bit too much work with its files backend in
building the in-memory directory model, but this would only really
impact you if you had a fairly large files index.  I'd like to know if
passing in "--backend -files" to the command-line helps this.

* Beagle doesn't start indexing until 60 seconds (by default) after it
starts, to avoid thrashing the disk at startup and slowing down what's
already a mostly IO-bound process.  So that's not the cause of the
extra delay.

> Maybe we need a way to defer launch of most autostarted applications
> after desktop is ready (ie metacity / gnome-panel and nautilus are
> ready).

Certainly Beagle could use this.  There's no reason to start it until
everything else is loaded and running.  KDE seems to have this in its
autostart mechanism.

Joe