On 02/11/2007, Dylan McCall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> These search engines all provide similar outputs, do they not? What we
> need, then, is a standard system that they can each fill in for via D-Bus,
> or by replacing some small GNU-esque applications, with the assumption that
> the distro's dependency management can deal with overlapping systems.
> Hard-coding anything like this is the wrong way to go, because the solution
> ends on whatever it was hard-coded for. You will always bump into a person
> like me who hates maintaining code, who refuses to implement a system in his
> applications when it arbitrarily runs searches as if by hand. That system
> will not be long lasting, and will be continually in flux, so the various
> applications integrated in the GNOME desktop just won't want to use it. What
> happens then? The same thing that happens with a lot of other systems:
> Nothing. No lasting good comes of it, because whatever has been hard-coded
> to will grow out of the rigid cage that has been set, and a lot of effort is
> wasted. Maybe a few programs will duplicate the code, (the viral GNOME foot
> logo spinner comes to mind), but that's not really an attractive thing.
> Let's make desktop search worth something! This should be consistently
> present as a tool that the user can expect to use, rather than one he is
> occasionally given the privilege of encountering.
>
> If a search engine wants to integrate with GNOME's services, it should
> provide particular inputs and outputs. I can't see a selection in Preferred
> Applications causing any notable changes in the user interface, so that
> shouldn't be too difficult to expect with this solution either. The current
> option of choosing search filters could be done such that options for
> filters are defined, again in a standard way, by search engines themselves.
> Leave the rest to the standard interface, whether the existing systems
> follow the rules yet or not. (Those filters would need something to ensure
> that applications calling the preferred search engine can safely specify
> wanted file types or source folders. Individual applications can get away
> much more than GNOME with hard-coded behaviours, such as tag searching if
> that is available).
>
> Need an intermediate solution? Fine, implement search tools for Beagle and
> Tracker while we wait for them to create GNOME integration packages. By the
> way, this is no more to ask than that they have a GTK-powered front-end.
> Don't feel bad about having to lock these to a set output and input; they
> can still grow on the inside, and the possibilities unlocked far outweigh
> the potential benefits of more fancy search options that only are accessible
> from a single place. Besides that, we wouldn't be restricting their growth;
> the accepted standards can grow, too. A building usually has a single front
> entrance, but that doesn't mean the side doors don't exist for those who
> want them. Also, just because we're using the same set of doors doesn't mean
> [...]

Ok, short answer to long mail - I'm at work so I shouldn't be reading d-d-l
:-)

XESAM is *exactly* what you talk about. See http://xesam.org. If you are
interested I suggest you read the RC1 spec an give your comments on the xdg
list at freedesktop.org.

I given a small XESAM status report somewhere in this thread. Should be easy
to find.

Cheers,
Mikkel