Hi,

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Owen Taylor <otay...@redhat.com> wrote:

>    My initial understanding of the Zeitgeist engine was that it was
>    a data collection engine to collect a rich view of how the user
>    used their computer over time, which would then be used to build
>    an OLPC style journal interface; but that understanding fuzzes
>    at the edges when people are pressed about this, things like
>    deducing related documents from temporal overlaps and tagging
>    enter into the picture. This doesn't make me comfortable.
>
>    There are also questions here of the relationship with Tracker. If
>    Tracker really lives up to its promise, shouldn't timeline
>    information simply be extra metadata added in the Tracker store;
>    after all, a timeline really is just an indexed and extended
>    view of the classic ctime/mtime/atime metadata?

Indeed certain queries can be solved using only Tracker, others using only
Zeitgeist. As Mikkel and Seif explained, both projects are complementary. I
would explain it as: tracker is your current information, Zeitgeist is the
journal of how you got there.

   If querying the Tracker database for this is a) not sufficiently
>    efficient b) too cumbersome to code c) requires expert training
>    in RDF, then that, to me, would throw doubt on the whole Tracker
>    enterprise.

Not at all.

a) In our tests, tracker is efficient with a huge amount of data (e.g. 5000
contacts with postal addresses). I'll commit in the repository the scripts
to run generate mock data and run these tests.
b) The DBus API is minimal (basically, one method for query, other for
update), and
c) the query language looks very new, but it is way easier than SQL once you
get few basic notions.

We are very happy to help new-comers to tracker, and started drafting some
documentation. If there is any concrete point anybody wants to clarify, feel
free to come and talk in #tracker.

>    What would make us most comfortable would be a comprehensive
>    picture of how Tracker, Zeitgeist, and Nautilus work together
>    with the shell to allow finding your stuff. Now it is probably
>    not completely realistic for me to hang await for this to show
>    up in my inbox in finished form, so the first step (from my
>    technical perspective) is to get a clear statement of what the
>    Zeitgeist engine does, what new user interfaces are enabled by
>    that operation, what it does *not* do, and how it relates to
>    Tracker.

I will be in the Zeitgeist hackfest next week to work on clarify these
limits. Hopefully somebody from GNOME Shell and Nautilus will be there too.

Regards,

Ivan