On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:37 PM, Lucas Rocha <luc...@gnome.org> wrote:

> Extra Information
> -----------------
>
> We're planning to do the actual reorganization of the modulesets as soon as
> possible during this development cycle. The idea is that GNOME 3 is
> released
> using the new modulesets.
>
> The long term plan for the GNOME applications that were removed from the
> Desktop, Admin and Dev Tools modulesets is to simply highlight the
> high-quality
> applications using the GNOME platform through our communication channels
> (release notes, website, etc). There will be no "official" apps anymore and
> no
> 'Applications' moduleset in the GNOME releases. The goal here is be more
> open
> with the app developer community around GNOME and to highlight all the nice
> things that can be created using our platform.

I want to say that I am really happy about this proposal! As co-maintainer
of GNOME Games, I have had to constantly turn down people whom want their
game included in the distribution only to obtain the recognition that would
come with that inclusion. Some of the games that have been proposed have
been of a really high quality but, for example, didn't fit the language
knowledge of the current maintainers.

By downgrading GNOME Games to the same level as all those others that have
been proposed, distributions will be encouraged to find other alternative
games from the wider GNOME community. That would be a good thing!

Others have expressed worry about translations and documentation. I'm not
worried about that GNOME Games has the history and mind-share to ensure that
people working on our infrastructure make a habit out of working on the
GNOME Games, regardless of its status.