1. You could just install the updated deb file:
http://packages.debian.org/sid/libicu-dev#pdownload
2. Also if you have trouble with finding .pc files for packages that you
believe you had installed, make sure that your PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable is
set properly.

(In debian I had to put the following in my jhbuildrc:)
addpath('PKG_CONFIG_PATH', '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig')
addpath('PKG_CONFIG_PATH', '/usr/lib/pkgconfig')