On Thu, 2013-06-27 at 15:41 +0100, Javier Jardón wrote:
> On 27 June 2013 14:09, Arun Raghavan <arun.ragha...@collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I had brought this up on IRC, but that morphed into a discussion with
> > the BlueZ folks, so let me just summarise here:
> >
> > * The latest released PulseAudio does not support BlueZ 5, only BlueZ 4
> > The BlueZ folks (João Paulo and Mikel) have been doing the heavy-lifting
> > on this front. Knowing what the timelines are from GNOME's perspective
> > would be useful in figuring out when we need to get this in by (and
> > released) and whether this is possible at all.
>
> Hi Arun,
>
> thanks for the heads up
> You can check the release schelude here: [1]

Thanks.

> As you can see TheFreeze of all the modules is August 19, so ideally
> the new pulseaudio version should be ready some time before.

This depends on the code going into BlueZ first, then into PA, and both
making releases (there are currently a whole lot of changes in master,
so we'd probably need to do a couple of rounds of RCs before shipping a
new stable release).

> A question about BlueZ: Is version 4 parallel installable with version 5?

As Bastien pointed out, they will not be. To make the transition less
painful, our plan on the PulseAudio side is to support both BlueZ 4 and
5 in the short term till there are enough users have migrated to BlueZ 5
and we can feel more confident about dropping BlueZ 4 support.
Fortunately, we are able to separate this out without much in the way of
additional maintenance burden.

I think it makes sense to use this approach with 3.10 as well - support
BlueZ 4 and 5 as a compile-time option for this release, get some more
user-testing during this cycle from the more adventurous, and then
switch to BlueZ 5 only in 3.12

Cheers,
Arun