On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Jasper St. Pierre <jstpie...@mecheye.net>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Robert Roth <robert.roth....@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> Matthias Clasen (mclasen) asked me to write and let you know that I will
>> be taking over the maintenance of libgtop.
>>
>> libgtop is the library used by System Monitor and Control Center (if you
>> are a developer of an application using libgtop, please let me know) to
>> query system information, but unfortunately the development has stalled,
>> the last release has happened in 2011, almost two years ago.
>>
>> My goals for the 3.12 cycle (as we're getting close to the 3.9 freeze,
>> only for the next cycle) are to review the buglist of the module, and
>> extend it to provide library support for various gnome-system-monitor
>> enhancement requests, but in the meantime keep it simple and fast enough to
>> back the upcoming Usage application.
>>
>> Thanks for reading,
>>

> I was trying to hack on the libgtop code a little while ago, and I just
> found it hard to hack on. The code was generated, and it seemed to be put
> together by this giant mess of perl scripts.

I've also hacked some small features in the libgtop code, and wasn't hard,
but maybe I took only the low-hanging fruits. Extending existing libgtop
implementations (meaning include/... and  sysdeps/linux/... code) with new
features looked pretty hassle-free for me. Of course, If there are server
changes required (I don't know cases when we would need that, I didn't need
any so far), it might be hard.

> So, I wonder if it makes sense to stop generating libgtop and instead just
> focus on a solid, easily understood codebase. I never really understood why
> we had a client/daemon split, either; it doesn't seem that we're doing
> anything too fancy on either side. Is it that we require root for reading
> some of the files? Should we move to a system DBus service instead?

I guess the client-server split is required for the root access indeed, in
that case replacing it with a DBUS system service would be an option, but
seems like libgtop is a server indeed, and can be connected to from the
network too, and I don't know whether that's possible with DBUS,

> The other thing is that libgtop seems to be munging a lot of procfs files.
> I wonder if it'or something (completely made up example).
>  s possible to investigate new kernel APIs or make ones so that instead of
> looking for "MemTotal:" in /proc/meminfo, we could just read
> /proc/mem/memtotal

See the discussion in the thread for more details, it's not only about
procfs, it's completely different for *BSD systems. The linux
implementation could probably be improved by reading /proc/mem/memtotal ,
but if we read /proc/meminfo for other information anyway, maybe searching
for MemTotal: in the file is less expensive than reading another file from
procfs
---
Robert