On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 12:28 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzta...@0pointer.de>wrote:

> On Tue, 28.01.14 09:56, Sriram Ramkrishna (s...@ramkrishna.me) wrote:
>
> > > c) gnome-session currently has some special .desktop file support that
> > >    it uses to set up the session and run it (parsing stuff from
> > >    /etc/xdg/autostart). For that it forks off all
> > >    processes on its own, and will wait for SIGCHLD to bind the
> lifecycle
> > >    of the session to the lifecycle of gnome-settings-daemon +
> > >    gnome-shell. It also uses that to implement "phases". I'd like to
> see
> > >    this minimally changed to watch for the
> > >    existance of the respective bus names instead, and use normal bus
> > >    activation to start everything. The phase logic can stay in
> > >    gnome-session even if gnome-session doesn't fork anything of
> > >    anymore but uses bus activation for every>
> >
> > So this seems like we are going to continue to use gnome-session in
> > order to maintain support for non-systemd operating system.  My
> > question is, why not at least move everything to systemd --user for
> > systemd sessions instead of maintaining gnome-session?  That way we
> > get the benefits of things like bootchart and have more direct control
> > of how GNOME starts?
>
> gnome-session does a number of things where we don't want to see systemd
> get involved with. For example, in .desktop files there are some GNOME
> specific settings which allow you to bind it to a specific dconf key,
> and I am pretty sure systemd should not hook into that (not because
> dconf was bad, but simply because we should try hard to avoid making
> systemd a client of the daemons it manages). Also, note that we systemd

Makes sense.  Creating any kind of circular logic is just asking for
trouble.

> we actually are changing the scope of things a bit. While previously
> gnome-session would be run inside the original user session and would
> then fork everything off directly, also inside the user session, we want
> a different layout in a systemd world: instead of having everything run
> inside session scope, we want to move things to user scope. Which means
> everything is forked off a singleton per-user systemd --user instance
> that is shared by all active sessions. Now, to start a service we still
> need one component though that continues to run in the session and just
> tells the systemd --user instance to spawn gnome-settings-deamon,
> gnome-shell and all the other services... We want this one component to
> be gnome-session.

This is great implementation detail and it's easier to understand what the
end state is going to be.

But then again, I haven't talked to the KDE guys about this. I probably
> should though. Maybe Ryan, we should do another fdo summit like last
> year? What do you say? Maybe organized next to some other European
> conference, like LinuxTag or so?

I had asked for some verification and it seems Aaron Seigo has been driving
some of this for Plasma, so I think he would be a good person to talk to
about it.

sri