On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 8:28 PM, Tomasz Torcz <to...@pipebreaker.pl> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 08:06:09PM +0000, Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) wrote:
>> The source makes use of the new Mozilla Location Service[1] and that
>> being very new, does not have a lot of coverage. The good news is that
>> they provide a web API and an android application to allow people to
>> help them extend their coverage: Mozstumblr. I talked to our designers
>> briefly about having a similar service/app in GNOME to be able to
>> contribute data from GNOME itself as well but lack of GPS hardware
>> makes it rather not that useful in the end.
>>
>> So what I would really appreciate is for you nice folks to consider
>> installing Mozstumblr on your android phones (if you have one, that
>> is) and make our geolocation framework work as well as we all want it
>> to.
>
>   Mozilla works one way with this Location Service.  They do collect
> data, but don't allow downloading them back:
> http://pavelmachek.livejournal.com/120952.html

There is a very good reason they don't let you download it:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/CloudServices/Location/FAQ#Can_I_download_the_entire_raw_database.3F

In short, the data isn't exactly theirs to give away freely.

>   I don't think GNOME should encourage contributions to such closed,
> proprietary service.

None of the software is closed or proprietary. Its all availlable and
developed in open like a real free software:

https://github.com/mozilla/ichnaea
https://github.com/mozilla/MozStumbler

Moreover, you can easily create a service based on their service that
gives out data to everyone if you wish so but I don't see GNOME
needing to do so.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)