On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Sébastien Wilmet <swil...@gnome.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:44:45PM +0100, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
> > This has already been discussed:
> >
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2015-May/msg00004.html
> >
> > The suggestion was to add a CONTRIBUTING.md file, which I did for the
> > modules that I maintain.
>
> Replying to myself, adding the CONTRIBUTING.md file has apparently had
> the intended effect for at least the gedit, gtksourceview and latexila
> modules.
>
> For gtksourceview, I see that one contributor has opened a pull request
> recently, but closed it by himself and opened a bug in bugzilla.
>
> Also, in every module it is normally explained how to contribute and
> submit patches, either in the README or HACKING file. The HACKING file
> contains other important information for contributing. So, if someone
> creates a pull request on GitHub, it means that the contributor didn't
> read the README or HACKING, so the patch has probably a poor quality… Do
> we really need to care about all those random patches by contributors
> who don't do their homework?

yes. It is a bit of a stretch to assume that a patch will be low quality
simply because the author did not read the HACKING file.

I prefer what Lasse is proposing. However, just like the CONTRIBUTING.md
file any maintainer can already add a .github/PULL_REQUEST_TEMPLATE.md file
to be even more visible about the policy on pull requests.