On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 17:44 +0200, Jehan Pagès wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 5:01 PM, Mathieu Bridon <boche...@daitauha.fr
> > wrote:
> > On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 16:47 +0200, Jehan Pagès wrote:
> > > IMO this is a completely broken and over-complicated workflow.
> > > For
> > > long term contributors, having their own remote can be
> > > understandable.
> > > But for one-time contribs?
> >
> > One-time contributions can be done entirely in the web UI, for
> > example:
>
> Ok. Sorry but no.
> I code in my text editor, not in my browser.

That's fine, me too.

But you're not a one-time contributor to GNOME, are you?

Remember that I'm responding to your thread about how the fork+merge-
request workflow is too complex for trivial one-time contributions.

> > For one-time contributions, this is a **much** simpler workflow
> > than cloning the repository, making the changes, committing the
> > change, making a patch, then sending the patch by email/bugzilla.
> > It even enables non-technical people to contribute!
>
> Well much simpler for developers who like to push buttons. We are
> many who don't like this. Let's not generalize!
>
> Also such patches are acceptable for very simple stuff. For instance
> typo fixes, or string fixes, or similar.

Well yes, that's exactly what this thread was about: simple one-time
contribution that are so trivial that they make the fork+merge-request
workflow prohibitive.

> But other than this, even
> one-liners of actual code, I don't want to encourage people who do
> things without actually testing (and expecting us to test for them).

That's why you have a CI that runs before merging.

> > And if I send you a patch, you might find it easier to test it
> > locally. But that completely bypasses your pre-merge CI.
>
> CI test basic stuff like "it builds", and "the tests don't fail". But
> there is much more in a patch than this.

A CI can do pretty much anything you want it to, it's not limited to
"basic stuff" at all.

> Of course, you could say that the tests should include every case.
> But the fact is that if there is a bug that was not seen before, that
> probably means there is no tests for it (otherwise we'd have seen
> it!). Even if we add a test, then we have to check first that the
> test is fine by building locally. Back to square 1.

And the person doing that is not the one-time contributor, but you, the
maintainer.

Seriously, you started complaining that the fork+clone is too complex
for trivial one-time contributions, and now you've completely changed
the goal-posts, complaining how the wokflow that was specifically
designed for trivial one-time contributions doesn't allow bigger
changes.

--
Mathieu