17 mai 2017 21:58 "Sriram Ramkrishna" <s...@ramkrishna.me> a écrit:

> Howdy!
>
> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 2:57 AM <jfle...@kwain.net> wrote:
>
>> b) Commercialization of Windows portage
>>
>> A while ago, I tried to sell the Windows version of Paperwork. It was based
>> on a 60 days trial
>> period + activation keys (the code is still visible on GitHub, but it is
>> disabled). It didn't have
>> much success at the time, but I still haven't forgotten my dream of being
>> rich someday ;). I'm
>> considering re-trying later (I'm thinking of keeping the version N-1 free
>> and making the version N
>> commercial).
>>
>> Would that be a compatible with being hosted on gnome.org ?
>> Would that hurt the chances that Paperwork becomes an extra app of Gnome
>> someday ?
>
> I would reach out to the board on this particular question. My personal
> opinion is the GPL does
> allow you to make money and you would still be compliant with the license. I
> would do some
> investigations on a money model around GPL'd software. You might want to talk
> with Aaron Brockover
> who wrote Banshee music player.

Ok, I will do that.

> The worry I have is further down the road, and for arguments sake: suppose
> Paperwork becomes a core
> application of GNOME there might be some misunderstanding with the community
> and accusations of
> bait and switch[1] that we might have to defend at first. So communications
> around this is very
> critical here. Because once that misunderstanding occurs, it stays persistent
> for quite some time.
> As someone who usually does the defending, I've usually found it a big
> headache. So this message is
> partially in my own self interest. :-)

I understand perfectly your worry, and the last thing I want is to make a mess.
I'll ask the board what they think. If they tell me they prefer I don't
commercialize a Windows portage, I won't.

> Finally, if you're using some of the designs from Allan or other GNOME
> designers, you would be
> using their work, time and effort to generate income. Now they might not
> mind, but you probably
> want to talk to them up front in regards to compensation (if any).

I understand. When I did my first try, I did discuss it with Paperwork's main
contributors beforehand. While the GPL allows it, I consider it basic
politeness.
This is also why I'm asking now, before hosting Paperwork on gnome.org.

> You are also leveraging the
> GNOME brand here intentionally or not. So these are things that you must work
> out with the Board of
> Directors.

Agreed.

> If you do go down that route, I hope that some portion of the proceeds will
> be contributed to the
> GNOME Foundation.

Yes, it would be fair.

> I do hope that you succeed. I think it is important for the market for
> applications if there was a model that succeeded, and that one can make money
> from copyleft
> software directly from users.

Thank you for this very detailed answer :)