I would prefer if building from git is the same as building from a
dist tarball, which means I wouldn't ship any pre-generated files in
the tarballs unless it's absolutely necessary.
I don't consider the additional dependencies for building the docs an
issue, at least for distro builds it isn't.
I guess it can be useful to not require those dependencies during a
bootstrap phase, but simply being able to disable the documentation is
sufficient for that.

> In the medium-to-long term, I'd really appreciate if
> developer.gnome.org stopped trying to extract documentation from
> random locations inside tarballs, munge the cross-references, and
> published the HTML on a static website. This would avoid having to
> generate documentation at all, except when needed. After all, Linux
> distributions rebuild the documentation when building the binary
> packages anyway, so shipping documentation in release tarballs is
> pretty much for the benefit of developer.gnome.org to begin with.
>
> Ideally, with the switch to Gitlab, we'd be able to run CI targets for
> each module; that would allow us to build the API reference (and any
> other documentation we deem worthy of publishing), ensure that the
> cross-references pointed to a well-known URL prefix as part of the
> build itself, and publish them when pushing a release tag.
>
> Additionally, GitLab pages[0] would ensure that any module with
> documentation would have it published, without necessarily teaching
> developer.gnome.org how to do it.
>
> Ciao,
>  Emmanuele.
>
> [0]: https://about.gitlab.com/features/pages/
>

> On 9 August 2017 at 15:12, Bastien Nocera <had...@hadess.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2017-08-09 at 08:33 -0500, mcatanz...@gnome.org wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> developer.gnome.org is going to have some problems because for meson
>>> modules 'ninja dist' does not include generated gtk-doc files in the
>>> tarball. At least one maintainer is working around this by manually
>>> generating tarballs with gtk-doc included instead of using 'ninja
>>> dist'. I don't recommend doing that since that's equivalent to
>>> skipping
>>> distcheck. It's better to use meson's dist target.
>>> developer.gnome.org
>>> is just going to have to learn to build docs itself.
>>>
>>> Is anybody working on developer.gnome.org? Anyone interested in
>>> taking
>>> on this task? Otherwise it is going to be stuck with outdated docs.
>>
>> I filed this:
>> https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/2166
>>
>> I don't know whether that's something we'd want longer term, but it's a
>> win short-term.
>>
>> Cheers
>

> --
> https://www.bassi.io