On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 03:16:09PM +0900, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
> Had not considered this use case yet, thanks !
>
> I'm an emacs user but have never used any kind of symbol completion
> feature myself.
>
> For this, one could use `bst checkout` to get a full checkout of the
> build outputs which your element (module) of choice depends on, and
> then periodically delete / re-checkout your sysroot checkout when it
> starts to get out of date (or make parallel checkouts for separate
> projects).
>
> However currently this is a slow operation which uses a lot of disk
> space. Since it is an export of the built artifacts, we dont risk using
> hardlinks for the checkout, because that leaves the user in a position
> where they can accidentally corrupt their local artifact cache.
>
> I have been considering adding some explicit switch like `--unsafe` to
> the checkout command to allow users to do this "at their own risk", but
> haven't really found a use case to justify this, maybe you just
> provided one !

As Christian explained, the text editor plugin also needs the list of
CFLAGS, especially the -I's.

With Meson the easiest is to read the compile_commands.json file created
at the root of the build directory. See:
https://clang.llvm.org/docs/JSONCompilationDatabase.html

CMake can also create a compile_commands.json file.

With the Autotools/make, the Vim plugin that I use provides a script to
extract the CFLAGS while `make` is running:
$ make CC='~/.vim/bin/cc_args.py gcc'
this creates a .clang_complete file containing the list of CFLAGS.
See:
https://github.com/Rip-Rip/clang_complete/

> Philip's reply is also a possibility but I would prefer recommending
> something via BuildStream, mostly because you want to use exactly the
> header files that you need for your target environment, but also
> because there is no guarantee that a flatpak SDK will even have headers
> for the dependencies you might want to use.

Yes the Flatpak SDK doesn't contain all dependencies.

> For the moment, I've added this issue[0] to make sure we dont lose
> sight of this, in any case it should be very easy to implement.
>
> [0]: https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/buildstream/issues/162

OK, it's a good news if it's easy to implement.

--
Sébastien