On 11/30/2018 03:14 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-11-30 at 13:08 +0100, Stefan Sauer wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> for the near future I won't be able to work on gtk-doc feature requests.
>> I am cleaning up the code to make it testable and converting the silly
>> integrations tests into unit tests. This will help to get pasring
>> issues/bugs under control with less chance of causing regressions.
>>
>> Here are the current feature requests, if someone would like to help:
>>
>> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk-doc/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=opened&label_name[]=4.%20Help%20Wanted&label_name[]=4.%20Newcomers
>>
>> Remember, it is now python, so no perl knowledge needed anymore.
>>

>> Also is there someone who could help to turn gtkdoc into something that
>> can be published on pypy, so that people can pull the latest with pip?
> Having filed a bunch of feature requests and bugs against gtk-doc
> recently, I ran into the problem that, in addition to my Python only
> being slightly better than my Perl, I had trouble finding what parts of
> the code generated the code that I wanted, and how to create small test
> cases for the problems I was filing bugs about.
>
> Some guidance on the bugs, like which function should be modified, or
> where to start prodding, would definitely be useful, at least until the
> internals themselves are better documented.
Git has doc/gtkdoc.dot, which helps to understand what happens at which
stage. With the cleanups in the code base I also try to make it more
hackable (etc add comment describing how each tool works). I recently
added new tests for gtkdoc-scan and gtkdoc-mkdb and these are relative
straight forward python unittests, so if you have a code snippet that
gets not properly parsed, we an easily turn this into a test (I think
you files some for 'unsigned' in parameters and I will probably cover
this with the tests in the coming days.
There are still lots of parts that are not very testable and it is going
to take a while to refactor the code :/
> (as for PyPi support, I personally build gtk-doc in jhbuild, and build
> my modules that use gtk-doc in jhbuild as well, so I always have the
> latest gtk-doc to generate docs, contributors would probably want to
> use gtk-doc from git in any case)

Thats a good point, maybe then this is not so important.

Stefan