On Mon, 2019-01-21 at 14:03 +0000, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I hadn't expected this to garner so much interest!
>
> Instead of replying to each message separately, I'll try to summarize
> a few things into this message.
>
> First of all, this thread doesn't have anything to do with GNOME
> Books. It's a separate application and doesn't have any Online
> Accounts integration whatsoever. Books shares the gnome-documents Git
> repository with GNOME Documents, and that's all. I can't even find it
> in gnome-build-meta, which is again a separate discussion:
>   [rishi@kolache gnome-build-meta]$ git grep gnome-books
>   [rishi@kolache gnome-build-meta]$
>
> Second, "evince" is a lot of different things. It could mean:
> * everything that's in evince.git
> * the libevdocument3.so.4 and libevview3.so.3 APIs
> * /usr/bin/evince - the thing that opens files from Nautilus
> * /usr/bin/evince-previewer - this is used for the GTK print preview,
>   as Emmanuele pointed out, and has NoDisplay=true
> * /usr/bin/evince-thumbnailer
>
> So, for some definition of "evince", GNOME Documents has a hard
> dependency on it. Ideally, the evince Git repository would be split
> to disambiguate some of these components as far upstream as possible,
> instead of relying on the various downstreams to get their packaging
> right. But that's also a separate discussion. :)

So far, the only proposal or request I had seen is to build evince
without UI: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evince/issues/1048
IIUC, the outcome would be the same.

> [...]
> "Documents" are also notoriously complicated, as compared to music,
> photos or videos. For example, if somebody is working on a thesis,
> then everything from graphs to PDFs to the textual LaTeX sources to
> screenshots can be considered a document.  That's almost impossible
> to accommodate within the current reality of GNOME Documents.

The thesis user case looks to me like a corner case, and Documents
might be noisy because its scope of broader than a thesis. In a thesis,
a challenging part is to keep all the references (mostly papers)
"together", and hopefully to manage them in a way that is easier to
search, and cite.

I think Documents should not bother with that, because then it would
need features (or subset of them) provided by tools like Mendeley. I
mean, other than searching text in a collection of documents.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/