On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 10:03 AM Bastien Nocera <had...@hadess.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-01-23 at 14:33 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
> > Bastien Nocera <had...@hadess.net> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Flip it on its head and please suggest why, nowadays, any
> > > application
> > > developer, whether for a GNOME application or a third-party, would
> > > spend time integrating services into gnome-online-accounts, or
> > > using
> > > gnome-online-accounts for functionality that's somewhat core to the
> > > application experience, when the rug can be pulled from under your
> > > app
> > > at any point?
> >
> > That's not what's happening here. Until very recently, Debarshi was
> > the Documents maintainer, and he's obviously been fully involved.
>
> It is what is happening in GNOME Online Accounts in general. Pocket is
> disabled in Fedora 29, and there's a good chance that the mail
> configuration bits will be disabled in Fedora 30.
>
> I don't know whether those changes will also be done upstream, but the
> result will be the same, it won't be possible for applications shipped
> through Flatpak to know that certain configuration options will be
> available in GNOME Online Accounts.

I believe in the larger picture, this is a logical consequence of taking
the boundary between desktop and apps seriously.
It is just not right to give all 3rd party apps that show up in a flatpak
access to the GNOME api keys and identity.
They need to use their own keys. Offering a centralized service for storing
such keys, as Emmanuele suggests,
might still be useful.