Hi,

IMHO an smart stance to take in this topic is to focus on the actual impact
in practice that this change has, and otherwise just do it if a reasonable
amount of people and outside projects think there is a valid reason to do
it - we don't need to understand if the reasons are fully valid or not,
because that's hard to evaluate.

In practical terms, as long as someone takes care of fixing the
technological part I don't see an issue, and I understand that you need to
have some project as a test, so as long as this keeps to Geary only it
seems ok to me.
In terms of getting used to it, it's a matter of remembering just one more
name.
For making this change properly, I have some questions:
- Is there a possibility to redirect master to any other name somehow?
- If Git upstream documentation is not updated, can we hold an organization
wide change until that happens?
- Is there a way to "push to the main branch" that doesn't involve a name
such as master or mainline?
- Is there some consensus on the word replacement apart of the links Daniel
provided? My feeling is that we should wait until there is a common
replacement among projects outside of GNOME.

Also, I think we should try to come with a name we are all comfortable and
use only that one. A discourse topic or a different mail thread just for
that would be helpful.

Cheers