On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 8:07 PM Zander Brown <zbr...@gnome.org> wrote:

> I've used the matrix bridge for years now (I'm generally only on irc "for
> real"
> to fix things after the bridge does crazy things like de-op me or change my
> nick without warning...)
>
> Matrix isn't perfect. matrix.org, the main "homeserver", regularly has
> high
> latency further exacerbated by the bridge. Hopefully hosting our own would
> avoid that

Yes, it would help a lot both ways:
* we wouldn’t be hurt by performance issues on the matrix.org HS (apart
from federation issue for people “from there”)
* we would reduce the load on the matrix.org HS

My concern would be the "federal" nature of matrix where people don't need a
> gnome.org specific chat account to join a room. Whilst there are a lot of
> arguments for this I'm increasingly convinced it's an anti-feature
> especially
> if we want to enforce CoC (which, of course, we do)

That was a concern for Mozilla too. I don’t know the details, but they have
a solution for that it seems. See e.g. the Community safety section in the
[annoucement](
https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/synchronous-messaging-at-mozilla-the-decision/50620
).

--