On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 12:08:50PM +0100, Benjamin Berg wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-01-14 at 12:06 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > This is likely a migration problem, as the project was originally in
> > Jonas' personal namespace, right? All the projects under the GNOME
> > namespace should have the same settings allowing anyone in the
> > project to commit anything and merge anywhere, for better or for
> > worse...
>
> Not quite. Everyone listed in the .doap file is a "Maintainer", while
> everyone else is a "Developer". So you can just change the protection o
> the master branch to only allow everyone in the "Maintainer" group to
> merge. This will prevent everyone who is not listed in the .doap file
> from merging.
>
> But, that in turn isn't really compatible with the idea that the Relase
> Team is the one who should always be able to handle emergencies in case
> a maintainer is not available at the time. So, they kind of need to
> have the Maintainer permissions in order to always be able to step in,
> even if projects have configured branch protections.

FWIW, mutter and gnome-shell (and others too I suspect)  only allow
maintainers to merge to master (due to a lack of better granularity in
the community edition of GitLab), but that is primarily due to us using
marge-bot, so while anynone from the release team that isn't listed in
the doap file as a maintainer won't be able to merge, they would be able
to assign their build fix merge requets to marge-bot to have merged.

Jonas