thanks for following up. I have attached my journal.txt and you will
find the same error in at as in the gnome-shell gitlab bug `Window
manager error: Another compositing manager is already running on screen
0 on display “:0”`.

Also, the same behaviour occurs as if I close all windows before
restarting, it doesn't crash which is what made me think that they are
related. I also only started noticing this when I started to test 23.10
in gnome-boxes prior to the release (I frequently do gnome-shell
restarts as I contribute to extensions) and noticed this behaviour right
away as I never had the issue with 23.04. As soon as I upgraded my
machine, the restarts started to crash (which makes testing extensions
quite tedious).

note that I cleared up the journal before running this test. I also
cleared up my crash logs to see but it's not generating any report.

There are a number of gnome-shell crashes linked to my woopside-id, including 
the following:
https://errors.ubuntu.com/oops/0b660737-7287-11ee-9b14-fa163ec44ecd
https://errors.ubuntu.com/oops/14ef2be8-195c-11ee-b183-fa163e55efd0
https://errors.ubuntu.com/oops/1a4daae8-0925-11ee-bcf5-fa163ef35206

I am not sure the above reports are directly connected to this issue but
based on the fact that many people seem to be having the same issue
since gnome45 is out, this doesn't look like an isolated issue. See this
discussion on github for instance: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-
shell/-/issues/7050

** Bug watch added: gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues #7050
   https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/7050

** Attachment added: "journalctl output"
   
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/2040453/+attachment/5713272/+files/journal.txt

-- 
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-shell in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2040453

Title:
  Gnome 45 crash on restart in X11 session

Status in gnome-shell package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete

Bug description:
  Hello,

  Since the upgrade to Ubuntu 23.10 with Gnome45, it is no longer
  possible to restart gnome-shell without crashing the session. The only
  way not to crash it is to close all applications before restarting
  gnome-shell. I have verified this too.

  This has already been reported upstream: 
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/7050
  a tentative patch for mutter proposed: 
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/7050#note_1876598

  Please consider reviewing/testing this patch and pushing an update so
  people can restart gnome-shell session without crashing it.

To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/2040453/+subscriptions


-- 
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to     : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to