** Package changed: ubuntu => gtk4 (Ubuntu)
--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to gtk4 in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2063520
Title:
amdgpu causes GTK4/Libadwaita, etc. rendering text with missing
characters
Status in gtk4 package in Ubuntu:
New
Bug description:
UPDATE: It seems to be related with `amdgpu` driver, which is the
default driver in Ubuntu. After disabling `amdgpu`, problem vanishes.
However, software rendering is not a perfect solution.
IT SEEMS THAT `amdgpu` in later updates of Ubuntu 23.10 & 24.04 are
BUGGY. As no driver alternatives are available right now for Ubuntu
24.04, now I am having a hard time.
[UPDATE] Updating to Ubuntu 24.04 DO NOT SOLVE THIS PROBLEM
Before updating to Ubuntu 24.04, I do sudo apt upgrade to update my packages
on Ubuntu 23.10 first.
[UPDATE] Updating to Ubuntu 24.04 DO NOT SOLVE THIS PROBLEM
Then I found that every program in GTK4/Libadwaita renders with
missing characters, even gdm (I cannot take a screenshot of gdm, but
the problems are the same).
I toggled "Antialising" in GNOME tweaks, and some characters return
TEMPORARILY. Then I opened a new GTK4/Libadwaita program, problems re-
occur.
Besides, problems exist in Xorg/Wayland, as Ubuntu 23.10 uses
Xwayland.
Problems exist in Plasma. Texts in desktop icons are missing, too.
AND I FOUND THAT the "Graphics" Section (the driver name) has been
changed to "AMD Readon 680M" after the update (I think it is something
like "AMD Rembrandt" before sudo apt upgrade). (I toggled in GNOME
tweaks to make the window display graphics info; if I re-open it,
fonts will be missing again)
If I hover on the place where text should display, some texts may
display but icons would not.
This problem affects my life qualify, thus I need to make clear where
it is the problem. GTK4? Libadwaita? Graphics? Ubuntu? Because
problems does not occur on GTK3 based apps, thus I can submit this
issue in Firefox.
I tried to open GNOME Calendar and use journalctl to capture logs
Apr 26 09:02:00 amber-XiaoXinPro-14-ARP8 gnome-calendar[4462]:
gcal_range_union: assertion 'a != NULL' failed
Apr 26 09:02:00 amber-XiaoXinPro-14-ARP8 gnome-calendar[4462]:
gcal_range_contains_datetime: assertion 'self' failed
Apr 26 09:02:00 amber-XiaoXinPro-14-ARP8 gnome-calendar[4462]: Unable to bind
the same property on the same instance
Apr 26 09:02:00 amber-XiaoXinPro-14-ARP8 dbus-daemon[898]: [system]
Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.GeoClue2'
unit='geoclue.service' requested by ':1.103' (uid=1000 pid=4462
comm="/usr/bin/gnome-calendar --gapplication-service" label="unconfined")
Apr 26 09:02:00 amber-XiaoXinPro-14-ARP8 systemd[1]: Starting geoclue.service
- Location Lookup Service...
Apr 26 09:02:00 amber-XiaoXinPro-14-ARP8 dbus-daemon[898]: [system]
Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.GeoClue2'
Apr 26 09:02:00 amber-XiaoXinPro-14-ARP8 systemd[1]: Started geoclue.service
- Location Lookup Service.
Apr 26 09:02:00 amber-XiaoXinPro-14-ARP8 gnome-shell[3604]: Can't update
stage views actor <unnamed>[<MetaWindowActorX11>:0x5e35cde82a20] is on because
it needs an allocation.
Apr 26 09:02:00 amber-XiaoXinPro-14-ARP8 gnome-shell[3604]: Can't update
stage views actor <unnamed>[<MetaSurfaceActorX11>:0x5e35cb8dff80] is on because
it needs an allocation.
Apr 26 09:02:03 amber-XiaoXinPro-14-ARP8 gnome-calendar[4462]: Finalizing
GcalMonthView 0x612b02571230, but it still has children left:
- GcalMonthPopover 0x612b02a78630
If I opened gnome-calendar in terminal, terminal has no new errors
messages appending.
Disabling amdgpu makes the problem to vanish, however software
rendering is not an acceptable option for a Ubuntu Desktop user.
Thanks in advance.
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk4/+bug/2063520/+subscriptions
--
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp