Hi Paolo. I unfortunately have only a few hours per month for studying
these, and this particular laptop is already now going to be with a user
that I can't that easily reach. Since the user really needs the feature,
I enabled LTS upgrades and switched to 24.04, hopefully without any
other regressions, and there this feature works (again) so I didn't need
to use the Lenovo recovery media to switch back.
However, I will note that I managed to boot the original installation to
the original (as of that time still installed) linux-oem-kernel together
with the mutter 42.9-0ubuntu7, and that did not resolve the issue, so
I'm a bit unsure what could be the cause unless I did a mistake in that
testing. It's almost as if the key press Fn+D is double interpreted, so
maybe it's input related and not mutter or kernel related (but doesn't
mutter handle input too to an extent?). It cannot be firmware related
because T14s Gen 5 didn't have any updates available yet.
The pre-installed OEM image seemed to be dated about March, there
haven't been eg meaningful gnome-control-center updates since then.
I do have access to another T14s Gen 5 with Privacy Screen and will be
able to access it on certain Mondays, and I can try your custom kernel
with that at some point, but it's a longer term thing. Also, if it's not
a kernel related item after all then that custom build wouldn't help and
I would need guesses on what other packages to downgrade. That machine
is currently on default OEM configuration - which as of September update
to oem-sutton-carr-meta switched to 6.8 generic kernel - and it was also
observed the Privacy Screen no longer works like it did in the very
beginning but that user is ok without it.
If you have some other developer with a such machine, the test steps
should be relatively easy once you install the recovery image, observe
it works, then update to up-to-date 22.04 (on OEM machines LTS -> LTS
upgrades aren't default so all one gets is 22.04 updates). According to
changelogs at least Marco Trevisan was working on Mutter related
enablement so had access to a computer or access to someone with the
computer.
Anyway, hints about what to try to debug if/when I have access to
suitable machine are welcome. I will not be able to do reinstallation,
but can downgrade any package to any earlier version or install custom
packages. I'm mostly interested in how the "enabled-disabled" could
happen in practice. I originally thought the feature is "erroring" and
then reverting, but because it actually _does_ enable the privacy screen
for a fraction of a second, I'm wondering whether it indeed could be
input related problem.
** Changed in: mutter (Ubuntu)
Status: New => Fix Released
** Changed in: linux-hwe-6.8 (Ubuntu)
Status: New => Invalid
** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
Status: New => Fix Released
--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Desktop
Packages, which is subscribed to mutter in Ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/2085119
Title:
Regression on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS after upgrading from shipped OEM
installation to current versions of 22.04 - Lenovo privacy guard does
not work (flashes on and then off)
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
Fix Released
Status in linux-hwe-6.8 package in Ubuntu:
Invalid
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
Fix Released
Status in linux source package in Jammy:
New
Status in linux-hwe-6.8 source package in Jammy:
New
Status in mutter source package in Jammy:
New
Bug description:
The laptop shipped with Lenovo's 6.5.0-1019-oem, but upon upgrades
switched to 6.8.0-47-generic which is generally preferred because
6.5-oem is no longer seeing updates.
However, there is a regression that Fn+D Lenovo Privacy Guard does not
switch correctly on. Instead, it only briefly flashed on and
immediately back off, with "Privacy screen enabled" followed
immediately by "Privacy screen disabled" at the bottom of the screen.
This bug used to indicate it's clearly a kernel regression, but it may
be also a regression in some other component. I've added mutter since
it's the compositor and also has the "Privacy screen enabled/disabled"
string, but downgrading that to 42.9-0ubuntu7 the machine shipped with
according to /var/log/apt/term.log did not help.
## Test Case
Laptop model: Lenovo Thinkpad T14s Gen 5 (Intel) with vendor support
Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (oem-sutton-carr-meta)
1. Boot to desktop, check that Fn+D is functional both to turn the feature on
and off
2. Attach external display, and try again.
3. Detach external display, try again.
4. Reboot, and try again.
## Expected Behavior
Fn+D works as intended in all cases. This is how it worked as the
laptop shipped, with 6.5.0-1019-oem as the kernel.
## Actual Behavior
Fn+D only results in a "flashing" Privacy Guard being activated but
immediately deactivated, so that it does not stay on.
---
Bug description updated to reflect I can no longer find a way for it to
behave correctly, but it did behave correctly in the configuration it shipped
in, after which only offered upgrades have been done.
---
ProblemType: Bug
ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.6
Architecture: amd64
AudioDevicesInUse:
USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
/dev/snd/controlC0: secto10 1765 F.... pulseaudio
/dev/snd/controlC1: secto10 1765 F.... pulseaudio
CRDA: N/A
CasperMD5CheckMismatches: ./.disk/casper-uuid-oem ./boot/grub/efi.img
./boot/grub/grub.cfg ./casper/initrd
CasperMD5CheckResult: fail
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
DistributionChannelDescriptor:
# This is the distribution channel descriptor for the OEM CDs
# For more information see
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributionChannelDescriptor
canonical-oem-sutton-jammy-amd64-20240409-800
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 22.04
InstallationDate: Installed on 2024-04-23 (180 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" -
pc-sutton-jammy-amd64-20240409-800
MachineType: LENOVO 21LSCTO1WW
Package: linux-hwe-6.8
ProcFB: 0 i915drmfb
ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.8.0-47-generic
root=UUID=cd7231e8-b1db-45c4-aaa0-e396d0ff90b7 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 6.8.0-47.47~22.04.1-generic 6.8.12
RelatedPackageVersions:
linux-restricted-modules-6.8.0-47-generic N/A
linux-backports-modules-6.8.0-47-generic N/A
linux-firmware 20220329.git681281e4-0ubuntu3.34
Tags: jammy wayland-session
Uname: Linux 6.8.0-47-generic x86_64
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin plugdev sambashare sudo
_MarkForUpload: True
dmi.bios.date: 08/07/2024
dmi.bios.release: 1.7
dmi.bios.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.bios.version: N46ET17W (1.07 )
dmi.board.asset.tag: Not Available
dmi.board.name: 21LSCTO1WW
dmi.board.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.board.version: Not Defined
dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
dmi.chassis.type: 10
dmi.chassis.vendor: LENOVO
dmi.chassis.version: None
dmi.ec.firmware.release: 1.4
dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnLENOVO:bvrN46ET17W(1.07):bd08/07/2024:br1.7:efr1.4:svnLENOVO:pn21LSCTO1WW:pvrThinkPadT14sGen5:rvnLENOVO:rn21LSCTO1WW:rvrNotDefined:cvnLENOVO:ct10:cvrNone:skuLENOVO_MT_21LS_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPadT14sGen5:
dmi.product.family: ThinkPad T14s Gen 5
dmi.product.name: 21LSCTO1WW
dmi.product.sku: LENOVO_MT_21LS_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPad T14s Gen 5
dmi.product.version: ThinkPad T14s Gen 5
dmi.sys.vendor: LENOVO
To manage notifications about this bug go to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/2085119/+subscriptions
--
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
Post to : [email protected]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~desktop-packages
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp