We are closing this bug report because it lacks the information we need
to investigate the problem, as described in the previous comments.
Please reopen it if you can give us the missing information, and don't
hesitate to submit bug reports in the future. To reopen the bug report
you can click on the current status, under the Status column, and change
the Status back to "New". Thanks again!

** Changed in: gnome-panel (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-panel in Ubuntu.

  gnome-panel won't keep orientation in unexpanded mode

Status in “gnome-panel” package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: gnome-panel

  Using Ubuntu 10.10 amd64 desktop (via dist-upgrade from Lucid)

  apt-cache policy gnome-panel
  gnome-panel:
    Installed: 1:2.30.2-1ubuntu3
    Candidate: 1:2.30.2-1ubuntu3
    Version table:
   *** 1:2.30.2-1ubuntu3 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  ---------

  I don't know precisely when this started happening, because at one
  time I did successfully have two launcher panels, one each on the left
  and right side of the screen, both in unexpanded mode. They maintained
  their left and right positions after reboots.

  However, recently, I created a launcher panel, placed it on the right
  side of my screen, changed it to unexpanded mode, and then after
  rebooting, it was on the left side of my screen. Thereafter, if I
  tried to change it back to the right side, my change would be refused.
  This is regardless of whether I right-clicked on the panel and
  selected Properties, other if I went to the terminal and used gconf-
  editor and changed the settings under apps > panel > toplevels.

  After the setting on the left panel was rejected, I also tried to
  create a second vertical panel, position it on the right, unchecked
  expand, to see if it would force this second panel to remain on the
  right. However, the second vertical panel was simply moved over to the
  left side of the screen, but to the right of the first vertical panel.

  The only thing I think may be noteworthy is that I recently installed
  the Mac4Lin theme for awhile, but then switched back to Radiance.

  I am currently using a workaround that seems to be working for the time
being. My workaround is a variation of the last post on this 2008 forum thread:

  Reasoning that my screen width is 1366px, my panel is 24px wide, I
  returned to gconf-editor > apps > panel > toplevels, selected the
  vertical panel, and set / changed the "x" and "x_right" settings. I
  made x be 1342 (1366 - 24), and changed x_right to zero. I temporarily
  expanded the panel, changed orientation to right, the unexpanded the
  panel. After logging out and logging back in, the panel remains on the
  right side of the screen where I wanted it all along.

  The things is I have never had to go to this length before to merely
  position a panel on the screen, so I'd prefer not to have to use a
  workaround (and who knows how long the workaround will work, since
  this problem appear out of the blue).