I just tried to reproduce this and it works for me with the mentioned
package and test-case.

** Changed in: software-center (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to software-center in Ubuntu.

  Incorrect parsing in Software Center's "already installed" dialog

Status in “software-center” package in Ubuntu:

  Greetings,

  Dash opened and recommended the package Mathomatic, so I opened this
  in Software Center.  There is an add-on below, which I checked to
  download as well.  I then installed the main package.

  The window did not appear to have installed the add-on, so I clicked
  "Apply Changes" to install the add-on.  A warning popped up saying
  that the package is already installed.  No problem, but the "details"
  in the dialog were botched.

      Package is already installed
      There isn't any need for an installation
  \/ Details
  Package [dbus.String(u'rlwrap')] is already installed

  I certainly wasn't trying to install that package name :-P.

  Searched software center with a few keywords and did not find a
  duplicate.

  lsb_release -rd:
  Release:      11.10

  apt-cache policy software-center:
    Installed: 5.0.2ubuntu0.1
    Candidate: 5.0.2ubuntu0.1
    Version table:
   *** 5.0.2ubuntu0.1 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main amd64
Packages
          500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-security/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       5.0.1.4 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main amd64 Packages

  Not a big deal, but should be a quick fix, too.  I tried to narrow
  down the bug location a bit, but got stuck.  I apt-got the source for
  software-center and grep'd for the phrase "is already installed", but
  it did not reveal an obvious location.  Perhaps this is a great
  opportunity for me to dig deeper and learn more about debugging
  software so I can contribute.  If anyone has any pointers on how I
  would have approached this bug, I'd love to communicate with you.