Question for the release team:

I managed to track down that bug to a specific upstream commit,
reverting the change seems to work on my test machine at least as far as
the webcam part is concerned. So I'm confident uploading that change
will fix the installer.

Now I'm no gstreamer expert and it's not unlikely that this revert will
break something else in gstreamer. The bug has been forwarded upstream
so hopefully we'll get a proper fix soon.

My question is, do we prefer to wait until upstream has a fix (can be
days/weeks) before touching gstreamer or do we prefer to take the risk
of regressing gstreamer to fix the installer?

My personal opinion is that it's much easier to fix whatever I break
with that fix post-release through an SRU than to tell everyone affected
to wait till the first point release to get a working media.

Packages, which is subscribed to gstreamer0.10 in Ubuntu.

  gstreamer hangs when accessing webcam (on specific hardware)

Status in The GStreamer Multimedia Framework:
  Unknown
Status in “gstreamer0.10” package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in “gstreamer0.10” source package in Precise:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Every time I install ubuntu on this hardware with ubiquity it hangs
  before the camera loads and after clicking continue on the "choose a
  user" screen.

  Package: ubiquity 2.10.3
  ApportVersion: 1.95-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: amd64