Sorry, correction. My bug appears to be different. Red lines do not show
up, and right clicking a word does not give you options to replace it,
but pressing F7 and clicking "yes" to the dialogue box that asks if I
want to start from the beginning does in fact run through the
incorrectly spelled words. I'll be opening a new bug since spell check
does not work properly on my install as well.

  Spell check does not check spelling.

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  To reproduce: Install 12.04, open libreoffice writer, mash keyboard
  with palm.  Press F7.

  Expected: to have spell checker check spelling.

  Result: Spell checker reports it has finished checking the document.
  No errors are found.

  mike@sleepycat:~$ apt-cache policy libreoffice
  libreoffice:
    Installed: (none)