** Visibility changed to: Public

** This bug is no longer flagged as a security vulnerability

  Sensitive user connections stored outside of the encrypted home folder

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Coming from the last LTS to precise i got shocked that by default my
  user only network connections with all credential are no longer stored
  under "~/.gconf/system/networking/connections" but under
  "/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/".

  This seems to come from the configuration changes of 0.9, but it has
  quite a security impact on Ubuntu's default ecryption method with
  ecryptfs secured home directories. Meaning my user only network
  settings with all password for wireless, VPN and co aren't stored in a
  safe manner anymore.

  Therefore this should be at best changed for ecryptfs installations
  via some kind of trigger in the session startup or at least should be
  highlighted in the release notes for precise.