** This bug is no longer a duplicate of bug 682788
   Global menu is not ergonomical on large screens
   Option for persistent menus in AppMenu for focused application

Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  always show app menu

Status in Unity:
  New
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:

  It is extremely user-UN-friendly to hide the app menus by default. Normally I
can see the menu I want to click and the just move the mouse to the
corresponding position. This is much faster than move to the mouse somewhere on
the top (or press the alt key), search for the menu and then relocate the mouse
cursor. Additionally the window title (or better the app name) should always be
visible to the left of the menu and should have a fixed width, say 300px. It
could look like this:
  | https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+filebug - Firef ... | File Edit Window
Help |                                         | indicators 1 2 3 |

  To unveil the the full name of the window, just click on the name and
  a dropdown menu pops up, showing a list of the application's  windows
  with the currently active one on top (and maybe in bold?).