** This bug is no longer a duplicate of bug 682788
   Global menu is not ergonomical on large screens
   Option for persistent menus in AppMenu for focused application

Packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  Usability: The application menu is hard to find in Natty

Status in Ayatana Design:
  New
Status in Unity:
  New
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:

  I just tested Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 2 a bit and I think for average users
  it may be very hard to find the menu of applications.

  Because the menu is hidden and only appears when the user hovers over
  the panel with the mouse, he can only find the menu, if he already
  knows that it is located there, which is an obvious contradiction.
  However, a user has almost no reason to try and hover the panel in his
  search for the menu, because it is not visually connected to the
  application at all.

  New users, who don't follow closely the development of Ubuntu, as well
  as users migrating from Windows will have a hard time finding the
  application menu. I would consider this a major usability regression.

  I know, that one might argue, that this is only valid the first time
  the user uses Ubuntu, but please note that there are a lot of users,
  who use the computer very seldomly or use Windows most of the time.
  (Perhaps it is necessary to mention, that I myself am a Linux-only
  user for over 10 years now)

  I don't really see a reason, why the menu shouldn't be visible all the
  time, regarding the vast amount of horizontal space in the panel,
  which is now just empty.

  Please think of someone near you, who doesn't use computers a lot,
  your parents or grand parents perhaps, and ask yourself honestly if
  they would get along easily with the current design.