The same happened to me with Firefox. Instead of showing Firefox's preferences,
I get Dropbox's.
If, however, instead of pressing Return to select the "Preferences" in the HUD
dropdown, I click the selection with my mouse, then it works properly! I hope
this helps you identify the problem.
Here's a video of this behaviour: http://youtu.be/JIFdvSZV5cs
The first two times I pressed enter to select the menu item and the last one I
left clicked it and it worked.
Although, in the last time, as you see, the new window appears in the
background, not in the foreground. Do you maybe know why is that? I did a fresh
install but have kept my home folder. Any chance it's conflicting with
configurations from gnome?

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  HUD won't show main window menu options when a chat window has focus

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  I had the Empathy main window (with the list of contacts) open but not
  focussed, and was in a chat window. I showed the HUD to try to change
  the theme, but neither "theme" nor "preferences" brought up the main
  Empathy window's menu list. I ended up with the Preferences from an
  indicator app (dropbox) instead.

  Package: empathy 3.4.0.2-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-23.36-generic-pae 3.2.14
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-23-generic-pae i686
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu3
  Architecture: i386