Public bug reported:

Podcasts play fine if they are fully downloaded before I start to
listen.

If I start to play when they are only partially downloaded they
correctly start to play but then stop part way through, even if the
whole podcast is downloaded at that stage.

** Affects: rhythmbox (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  Rhythmbox podcast pause if not fully downloaded before start

Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu: