This is very serious, as for most users it would mean CD burning is
entirely impossible.

It seems to be associated with either...
* having run Brasero to burn a CD with the windowed client within the same
session
* allowing automount behaviour to trigger Brasero with the Nautilus-embedded
client

I suspect it's to do with the automount behaviour, which is presumably
an 'instance' of Brasero which someone thinks is more easy to use than
the client itself (by dragging and dropping files). This doesn't cut it
for burning ISOs though.

Packages, which is subscribed to brasero in Ubuntu.

  Not exiting properly? "An instance of Brasero is already running,
  exiting"

Status in “brasero” package in Ubuntu:

  After successfully burning an ISO file (by clicking on it in nautilus)
  I am unable to burn any more. Double-clicking ISO files has no effect.
  Running brasero from the launcher does nothing. If I open a terminal
  to run brasero, I get:

  $ brasero

  ** (brasero:4117): WARNING **: An instance of Brasero is already
  running, exiting

  The only solution is to

  $ killall brasero

  (Edit to add: there is no icon in the dock(?) indicating that brasero
  is running, and alt-tab does not show it, so I can't switch to it).

  Package: brasero 3.2.0-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.0.0-14.23-generic-pae 3.0.9
  Uname: Linux 3.0.0-14-generic-pae i686
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Wed Dec 21 12:14:15 2011
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: brasero
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to oneiric on 2011-10-14 (67 days ago)