Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  missing option to disable system read sound / login sound

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  In Ubuntu 11.10 the startup sound could not be disabled via the system
  configuration. Later the startup sound was moved to the autostart
  programs dialog, where it could be disabled.

  But in Ubuntu 12.04 these possibility is missing again. There is also
  no option in the audio settings. Okey there is no melody playing, but
  drumms. In compare to older version of Ubuntu I call this system ready
  sound.

  There should be a setting to disable any sound during the startup
  process. This counts for startup, login, system ready sounds, or
  whatever you want to call them. A notebook playing sound is simply no
  option in a library!

  It would be also great if you provide a graphical menu to set own
  sounds for these situation. My notebook have to be quiet, but for my
  home computer some customization is always nice ;)

  ----
  As a workaround you can remove the gnome-session-canberra package

  Package: lightdm 1.2.1-0ubuntu1
  Date: Thu May  3 12:44:12 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)