Public bug reported:

I have lately found that my screen will remain completely black except
for the mouse cursor when I try to log back into my locked session after
resuming my laptop from suspend. The cursor does change into a text
entry cursor when I move it over the general area where the password
entry box would be located, so I assume it's simply a display issue of
some sort.

It's worth noting that this problem only occurs occasionally for me, and
only when I resume my laptop from suspend after i.e. closing its lid for
travel. If I let my laptop turn off and lock its screen on its own after
some time while plugged directly into a wall socket, the problem does
not occur then, no matter how many times it's allowed to do so.

I can still access a tty by hitting Ctrl+Alt+F1 when this occurs, at
which point my only workaround I've found so far has been to restart the
machine via the command line.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6960.

A similar issue seems to have been asked by somebody else on AskUbuntu
here: http://askubuntu.com/q/133720/18612

Package: gnome-screensaver 3.4.1-0ubuntu1
Date: Tue May  8 17:03:09 2012
GnomeSessionIdleInhibited: No
GnomeSessionInhibitors: None
GsettingsGnomeSession:
 org.gnome.desktop.session idle-delay uint32 600
 org.gnome.desktop.session session-name 'ubuntu'
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Alpha amd64
(20120201.1)
ProcEnviron:
 TERM=xterm
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: gnome-screensaver
WindowManager: No value set for
`/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager'

** Affects: gnome-screensaver (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug precise

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-screensaver in Ubuntu.

  Lock screen is occasionally solid black except for mouse cursor after
  resuming from suspend

Status in “gnome-screensaver” package in Ubuntu: